The Echlinville Distillery is located on the Ards Peninsula near the shores of Strangford Lough. We consider ourselves very lucky to call this place home. With stunning landscapes, fabulous food and lots to do for all the family, it’s the perfect place for a Northern Ireland staycation.
What can you expect from a visit to Strangford Lough?
In this part of the world, we take pride in taking it slow. From pace of life, to food and entertainment, we find strength in simplicity. Away from the crowds, Strangford Lough is the perfect place to relax, unwind and leave your stresses behind.
Just 30 minutes from Belfast and 90 minutes from Dublin, you will find water teeming with wildlife, hills piled high with 9,000 years of history, holy wells and ancient abbeys. Strangford Lough is an internationally recognised Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Area of Special Scientific Interest. One of the most richly bio-diverse regions in Europe, it’s no wonder there’s an unmistakable tranquility to the place we call home.
Here are just some of the amazing visitor experiences on offer on and around Strangford Lough and the Ards Peninsula.
- Spend the day kayaking on Strangford Lough with Mobile Team Adventure before stopping off on one of the lough’s hundreds of islands to cook and enjoy some freshly caught mussels.
- Bake your own traditional Northern Ireland breads on the griddle in a 17th century farmhouse at Tracey’s Farmhouse Kitchen.
- Discover our unique landscape, heritage and people on a guided walking tour with Sustainable Journey’s Ireland.
- Pour the perfect pint of Guinness, learn a cúpla focal in the Irish language or try Irish dancing at Denvir’s of Downpatrick.
- Enjoy an underwater adventure, meet the crocodile, penguins, otters and more at Exploris, Northern Ireland’s only aquarium. Feed the rescued seals at the Seal Sanctuary and even help release one back in to the wild .
- Discover the best local sights and artisan food and drink producers on the Strangford Lough Tasting Tour with Indie Fude.
- From architecture to the United Irishmen, discover the timeline of the Ards Peninsula or enjoy a concert or comedy gig at The Portico.
- Escape the stress of daily life and try your hand at bushcraft, forraging and wild cooking at the beautiful Finnebrogue Woods.
- Enjoy seasonal local produce, a friendly welcome and a room with a view to enjoy sunset over Strangford Lough at the Portaferry Hotel.
- Get up close to Ireland’s largest collection of native and exotic water birds, ducks and geese at Castle Espie.
- Enjoy an exquisite dining experience at the home of the Game of Thrones door at The Cuan.
- Walk through the ruins of a 12th century Cistercian Abbey, the only Abbey in Ireland founded by a woman and the first example of Gothic architecture on the island, at Grey Abbey.
- Immerse yourself in the legacy of Saint Patrick, Ireland’s Patron Saint, at The Saint Patrick Centre in Downpatrick.
And remember to pay us a visit at The Echlinville Distillery. Enjoy our distillery Tour & Tipple or visit our distillery shop.